Saturday, March 26, 2011

Maybe Online Language Isn't So New After All

I caught an amusing article in the N&O I wanted to share with you guys. I thought terms like LOL, or LMAO were recent products of the internet and text message era. What I saw today indicates that some may be but others may not. An example of OMG (oh my God or on my gosh) was confirmed in use in a letter from 1917. Since these types of written communication were less public in earlier times it is obviously harder to verify these types of synonyms or abbreviation were in use. Another term in use today that did not originate in an online fashion is the term WAG for wives and girlfriends. This one was first used to describe the female partners of the English soccer team in 2002. Today it is used to describe the female partners of male celebrities.

I just found it to be a an amusing read providing some insight into things that are less contemporary that we may believe. I checked the N&O site and the Associated Press and couldn't find a link to the article in either place. You'll have to take my word for it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment